18 May 2010

Knobblies galore on Beting Bemban Besar!

We always wondered why we didn't see any Knobblies on our earlier trips to Beting Bemban Besar.
This submerged reef lies just off Pulau Semakau which has lots of Knobbly sea stars (Protoreaster nodosus). So it seems odd that we only see one or two Knobblies on Beting Bemban Besar. Today, I found out where they were hiding!

In a small area of perhaps about 5 square metres, I found lots and lots of them!
They were quite close to one another. Many were clasped around coral rubble. So perhaps there's something nice for Knobblies to eat here? Who knows the secret ways of these massive and attractive sea stars.
In total, I must have seen at least 20 of these sea stars!
It was a very windy day out on the shore today. So I had better photos with my Sneaky Swimming camera.
I also saw an enormous Cushion star (Culcita novaeguineae)! At first I thought it was a star-shaped rock!
It is most obviously a sea star when we gently look at its underside. We must always turn it back after looking at it.
Here's more about my other sightings on Beting Bemban Besar.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails