17 July 2019

Sea slug overdose on Changi Creek shores

This morning, a small team come across a wide variety of nudibranchs, sea slugs and flatworms!
Living shores of Changi
Along a small stretch of Changi Creek shores that was recently impacted by months of construction of a new seawall.


The small piles of rocks were coated in corals, sponges and animals such as fanworms have settled among them.
Orange fanworm (Family Sabellidae)
There were lots of large healthy patches of Zebra coral, dotted with some sponges. I even saw one small colony of greenish Anemone coral! But I didn't see any flowery soft corals, which I did on our last survey in Jul 2017.
Such encrustations are food for flatworms, nudibranchs and other slugs. Today we came across some  surprising nudibranchs that are usually found in the South and not in the North such as
Chromodoris lineolata. There were also some Spangled flatworms and a Purple spotted yellow flatworm. In the seagrass areas, there were many tailed slugs.
I came across this nudibranch that I've not seen before. Check out Jianlin's facebook album of the awesome nudis and slugs he saw (more than I did). People often don't believe me when I say that we often see a wider variety of nudibranchs on the Northern shores than among the reefs of our Southern shores. But it is often true!
Unidentified nudibranch
There were also lots of seafans on the point of Changi Creek!
Various sea fans at Changi Creek
There were a good variety of sea fans: Candelabra sea fans, Gnarled sea fans, Skinny sea fans, Sea whips and one with purple polyps that I haven't seen before.
Jianlin found an Ovulid among the seafans!

At the rocky area at the western end of this shore, there were still many small clumps of Button zoanthids and Melted chocolate sponge covered large areas. But I didn't see much other sponges, and no sea fans. In Jul 2013, I saw a sea fan garden there.
Button zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.)
There were other cnidarians too on the shore. The shore was soft and silty and there were many Common cerianthids. I didn't see any sea pens though. There were many Haddon's carpet anemone on both the rocky areas and seagrass meadows. Other anemones seen were many Banded bead anemones on the high shore, a few Tiger anemones, one stranded Swimming anemone and some Ball-tipped corallimorphs.
Changi shores are echinoderm heaven. And today, I saw a good variety of sea stars. I saw many Biscuit sea stars large and small, two medium sized Cake sea stars, many Rock stars on the rocky shores, one Painted sand star and for the first time in a long time, a Spiny sea star with orange tipped arms. I only saw one small Eight-armed sand star (in comparison to the many large ones I saw on the opposite shore in Jun 2019).  I also saw two Blue feather stars.
There were also many sea cucumbers. Pink warty sea cucumbers were the most common. But I also saw many large and small Garlic bread sea cucumbers. There were also many Ball sea cucumbers in the sandy areas. I only saw a few Thorny sea cucumbers, one Orange sea cucumber, two Beige sea cucumbers. I also saw one White sea urchin and a few brittle stars.
This shore is heavily harvested, so it was nice to see one Noble volute and many Gong-gong snails. Empty shells were taken over by Orange striped hermit crabs. There were a few small fan clam shells, some tiny Window pane shells and a Large cockle. It was a relief not to see any of the clams that had taken over another part of Changi in Feb 2019.
The seagrasses are doing well. Those along the Creek were fresh and green without any epiphytes. Mostly Spoon seagrass with large and small leaf blades. This Velcro crab has attached Spoon seagrass to itself!
Velcro crab (Camposcia retusa)
In Jul 2017, I saw Needle seagrass for the first time here. Today, these seagrasses seem to be doing very well.
Needle seagrass (Halodule sp.)
The seagrass meadows and rocky area at the mouth of Changi Creek seems to be doing well. The last time I surveyed this shore was in Jul 2017, seven month after the shore was hit by the 300-tonne oil spill in the East Johor Strait. At that time, it was recovering very well.
Living shores of Changi Creek
I was frankly quite surprised as massive construction was going on this area for many months. This is what I saw in Oct 2018.
Coastal works at Changi Creek next to Changi Point Ferry Terminal
In Nov 2018.
Coastal works at Changi Creek next to Changi Point Ferry Terminal
And in Jan 2019.
Coastal works at Changi Creek next to Changi Point Ferry Terminal
I'm so glad these shores survived and are doing well. Our shores are quite tough it seems!

Photos by others on this trip

Jianlin Liu


Others on this trip: Jianlin Liu, Leon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails