Ganges River Delta from Rivers Seen from Space on Wired Science 22 Mar 10
Some of the key findings include:
- Mangrove distribution is 12% smaller than earlier estimates.
- Much of the mangroves "is in a degraded condition".
- 35% of mangrove forests were lost from 1980 to 2000
- 75% of the remaining forest is found in just 15 countries, out of which only about 6% is protected.
- Asia has 42% of the world's mangroves, followed by 21% in Africa, 15% in North and Central America, 12% in Oceania and 11% in South America.
Full article on wildsingapore news.
See more photos of mangroves and river deltas on Rivers Seen from Space on Wired Science 22 Mar 10
- How much mangroves are left in Singapore now?
- Saving Singapore's last best mangroves at Pulau Tekong
- World Atlas of Mangroves
- And more posts about mangroves on the wild shores of singapore blog and on the wildsingapore news blog.