A forum including stakeholders and NGOs will discuss the capture and sale of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins, and "offers the opportunity to present information about the efforts of the Solomons Ministry for Environment, Conservation and Meteorology".
"The forum is part of its (Solomons government) continuing effort to ensure the export of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin is sustainable and conducted in a transparent fashion," the Solomons government said in a statement.
“The ministry has considered these divergent interests and perspectives and has taken necessary steps to ensure the dolphin population is exploited and managed in a more sustainable manner,” it said.
The ministry said tomorrow’s forum is to ensure export of the dolphins is conducted in a transparent fashion.
“There has been so much media publicity done on this issue by different interest groups in recent years and the forum offers us the opportunity to come together and present this information while everyone is present.”
Earlier this year, a luxurious Singapore resort came under fire for importing Solomons dolphins. In 2007, 28 dolphins from the Solomons were sent to a resort in Dubai amid protests from environment groups. The dolphin shipment was criticised by the Australian and New Zealand governments. The two countries also protested a shipment of 28 Solomons dolphins to Mexico in 2004.
Full articles on the wildsingapore news blog.
Related articles and links
- Resorts World Sentosa: at what price?
- Singapore SPCA speaks out against wild dolphins for Resorts World Sentosa
- Philippines asked to return dolphins to the Solomon Islands Solomon Star 16 Jan 09;
- Dolphins at the Sentosa Integrated Resort: Senator cites Mexico's sad experience with dolphins Grace Chua, Straits Times 12 Jan 09;
- Facebook Group: Boycott Sentosa Marine Life Park
- SUFFERING, NOT SMILING: The Truth About Captive Dolphins on the Acres website.
- Singapore warned on dolphin imports for Resorts World Sentosa The Solomon Star 31 Dec 08;
- Animal activists decry need to import wild dolphins for Resorts World Sentosa Grace Chua, Straits Times 27 Dec 08;
- Another 11 Solomon dolphins for Resorts World Sentosa
- What will the Solomon dolphins go through in the Philippines? Some background of the facilities that will train them.
- Confirmation that the 7 dolphins are going to Resorts World Sentosa and what the dolphins cost
- First hints that the 7 dolphins were going to Resorts World Sentosa.
- Universal Studios distances itself from dolphins at Resorts World Sentosa.
- More about dolphins in general: their status, threats and other issues, on the wildsingapore news blog.