21 March 2010

Monkeying around at Sungei Cina

I had a quick look at the tiny patch of mangroves at Sungei Cina.
And came across a troop of Long-tailed macaques browsing in the mangrove forest.

A little female monkey approaches the big male.
Long tailed macaques have long tails!
Which come in handy as they leap from branch to branch!
It was nice to see the monkeys behaving naturally. Long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis) are also called Crab-eating macaques and originally are found in mangroves and coastal forests. I saw this one come to the water's edge for a while, but it didn't forage there.
The pair of monkeys I first saw were sitting in this huge Api-api bulu (Avicennia rumphiana). Which had bunches of aerial roots on its gnarly old trunk.
I saw a straight tall Bruguiera and at first thought it might be something interesting. After hunting hard, I finally saw some flowers. From these, it seems to be the common Bakau putih (Bruguiera cylindrica).
There were also a few Bakau minyak (Rhizophora apiculata) with their stilt roots.
The Rotan tikus (Flagellaria indica) had bright red fruits.
And there was a huge thorny, lime-like shrub near the water's edge. I'm not sure what it is.
There were also several shrines in the mangroves. Some were elaborate, others merely little statuettes stuck into the trees. Most had heaps of fresh flowers in front of them.
The area seems well used by fishermen as there are well beaten paths, large clearings and chairs and other tools tucked about the trees.
Alas, as usual, there is all kinds of trash including the remains of a refrigerator.
And the banks of the little creek was being seriously eroded. Some of the large trees there will probably fall over soon.
While I was in the mangroves, I heard a commotion at the canal nearby and on the way out, I noticed the gratings had all been cleared of trapped litter. The big pile of black garbage bags left nearby had also been removed. It's nice to know that there's at least some effort to keep the edges of the mangroves clear.
As I was heading back, on the grass verge I saw a huge white ball-shaped mushroom!
Nearby were remains of what looks like similar mushrooms.
I have no idea what they are!

The Sungei Cina mangroves are next to Admiralty Park, and a manicured area at the coastline called the Woodlands Promenade. From what I saw, the Promenade seems almost ready to be opened. I hope this little patch of wilderness at Sungei Cina can remain untouched. For the monkeys and the people who seem to like it wild.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails