|The rather large clump of abandoned driftnets on Sisters Island.|
Also, this year, Project Driftnet is attempting to collect data on the impact of abandoned driftnets. So we not only remove the net, but also take a closer look at it. The net on this shore was already starting to fall apart. It was hard to even get a complete portion of the net to measure the mesh size. This is probably why I couldn't find any animals trapped in the net. IThe net was probably weak enough for big animals to escape if they got stuck.
yesterday at Pulau Hantu, which had sponges and seaweeds growing on it. So I decided to remove this net. From this experience, I realise we also need to collect data on the state of the net, and determine more clearly when a net should NOT be removed from a shore.
As I started cutting it away, I realised a large part of the net was deeply buried in the sand. I just cut away the portions that were still sticking out. It took a while as there were lots and lots of thick ropes embedded in the net. The final portion separated from the buried parts made quite a big pile, about 70cm long when stretched out.
Project Driftnet blog.
If you see any abandoned driftnets or other fishing traps on the shore, I'd be glad to hear from you. Just email Ria firstname.lastname@example.org.
After struggling with the net for a while, I headed out to check out the marinelife on Sisters Island during this very short not-so-low tide.