"We are basically next to the sea and we will use the right material as well as construction methods to make sure that all our construction is safe." said Chuah Han Leong, LTA's director of the project.
Proposed Marina Coastal Expressway, from the LTA website.
The complex project was said to be 'right up there with the toughest in the world' and comparable to projects like Shanghai's Yangtze River tunnel and Japan's Tokyo Bay Aqua Line.
Construction will take place in soft clay that runs as deep as 60 m in some places. 'Soft clay is not very good for construction,' said Chuah Han Leong. 'It is like working with toothpaste. So we have to conduct extensive ground improvement to enhance the safety of the excavation.'
The Marina Coastal Expressway is expected to be ready by 2013.
- Marina Coastal Expressway on the LTA website
- Work begins on Marina expressway media reports on the wildsingapore news blog
- Extensive marine soil investigation off the East Coast until Sep 09
- Local firm wins final Marina expressway contract
- Coastal work off Marina Barrage continues to Aug 09
- Marina Coastal Expressway budget exceeded
- Reclamation for the Marina Coastal Expressway
- Design consultant for Marina Coastal Expressway appointed
- Soil investigation off the Marina Barrage