Please sign the anti-whale sharks in captivity petition!What can you do?
International organizations Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have joined forces with local organisations The Green Volunteers, lovesharks.sg, Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (ACRES), Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Cicada Tree Eco-Place to launch a public awareness campaign against the proposed import of whale sharks to Singapore’s Resorts World at Sentosa.
Resorts World at Sentosa wants to import whale sharks for the attraction and entertainment of visitors. Whale sharks are vulnerable to extinction and have never done well in captivity. They can grow as large as two city buses, migrate thousands of kilometers in the wild, and live up to a hundred years. It is just plain cruel to keep them in glass cages.
Whale sharks have never fared well in captivity. Two whale sharks died within five months of each other at the Georgia Aquarium.
Write to the Minister of National Development, the Singapore Tourism Board and Resorts World at Sentosa before this tragedy happens on our shores.
Send your letter here www.whalesharkpetition.com
This effort in the news
- Animal welfare groups oppose import of whale sharks at Sentosa IR Channel NewsAsia 12 Mar 09 and also on the Straits Times Breaking News 12 Mar 09;
More links to the Resorts World Sentosa's plans for captive dolphins and whale sharks
General articles on Resorts World Sentosa
- Resorts World Sentosa: at what price?
- Reclamation of our natural shores for Resorts World Sentosa on wildsingapore
- Sentosa Resorts World to shark's fins: "no, but..." more about Resorts World Sentosa and marine issues including the reefs affected by the IR construction on the wildfilms blog.
- SPCA speaks out against dolphins for Resorts World Sentosa
- Philippines asked to return dolphins to the Solomon Islands Solomon Star 16 Jan 09;
- Dolphins at the Sentosa Integrated Resort: Senator cites Mexico's sad experience with dolphins Grace Chua, Straits Times 12 Jan 09;
- Facebook Group: Boycott Sentosa Marine Life Park
- SUFFERING, NOT SMILING: The Truth About Captive Dolphins on the Acres website.
- Singapore warned on dolphin imports for Resorts World Sentosa The Solomon Star 31 Dec 08;
- Animal activists decry need to import wild dolphins for Resorts World Sentosa Grace Chua, Straits Times 27 Dec 08;
- Another 11 Solomon dolphins for Resorts World Sentosa
- What will the Solomon dolphins go through in the Philippines? Some background of the facilities that will train them.
- Confirmation that the 7 dolphins are going to Resorts World Sentosa and what the dolphins cost
- First hints that the 7 dolphins were going to Resorts World Sentosa.
- Universal Studios distances itself from dolphins at Resorts World Sentosa.
- More about dolphins in general: their status, threats and other issues, on the wildsingapore news blog.
- Sentosa IR: Captive dolphins to be used for spa therapy
Dolphins at your doorstep? Cara van Miriah, Electric New Paper 22 Dec 07; Plans underway for dolphins to be released from oceanarium daily to swim to posh water bungalows on stilts
- SUFFERING, NOT SMILING: The Truth About Captive Dolphins
on the Acres website
- Bad idea for whale shark at Sentosa IR Facebook group
- Whale shark at Sentosa: thin edge of the wedge
- Whale sharks at Sentosa IR? Bad move, say activists
Resorts World promises 'top-class' care as animal welfare groups raise issue; Ang Yiying, Straits Times 29 Aug 08;
- No critical need to keep whales prisoners
Letter from Dudley Au, Straits Times Forum 28 Oct 06
- Rethink idea of having whale sharks in Sentosa lagoon
Letter from Thomas Paulraj Thamboo, Straits Times Forum 19 Oct 06
- Sea Shepherds on the Whale Sharks at Sentosa IR
Letter from Grant W. Pereira Asian Education Advisor Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, unpublished letter to the media