The new walk will be an extension of the Southern Ridges, "seamlessly linking the Southern Ridges and the Southern Waterfront via a series of connections from Alexandra Road to the waterfront at Bukit Chermin."
The 960m Berlayer Creek Mangrove Trail is touted as an "'Eco-Educational' mangrove trail starts with a lushly landscaped Entrance Plaza at the open area surrounding the future Labrador Park MRT Station."
"The trail will lead on to boardwalks with bird-watching and look-out rest points that allow city-dwellers the chance to experience one of the few remaining mangrove areas in the southern part of Singapore, and be in close proximity to the rich biodiversity of the creek."
While earlier media reports on the boardwalk assured that "construction work would be carried out carefully to ensure that the ecosystem would not be affected". No similar assurances were repeated in today's media release.
- New nature walkway at Labrador, Berlayar Creek on wildfilms
- What can we see at Berlayar Creek?
- And other field trips to Berlayar Creek.
- Work starts on nature walk at Labrador and Berlayar Creek Straits Times 27 Jul 10;
- URA press release 27 Jul 10, with more details about the project.
- Nature walkway will link Alexandra to Keppel From garden to creek to harbour - all in just 2km Liaw Wy-Cin, Straits Times 15 May 08