Wheelock College yesterday!
Here's the happy team leaving the mainland in the morning. Faizah is introducing them to nature and environment issues in Singapore. I'm so glad she's included Pulau Ubin and Chek Jawa as a field trip for them.
wild boar piglets, and we pondered about the origin of rubber trees and the importance of agricultural crops in early Singapore.
Wild Ixora only blooms seasonally and their orange flowers brighten up the forest.
mangroves, forests and coastal forest.
marine litter how we can do our part to keep our environment clean.
Nipah palms, the team spotted Tree climbing crabs, a Giant mudskipper, a grasshopper. We pondered about the 'volcanoes' made by mud lobsters and their importance to the back mangroves. We had a look at various kinds of mangrove tree roots as well as their amazing seedlings.
Fiddler crabs as well as some Sand bubbler crabs. We also saw small Gold-spotted mudskippers, Yellow spotted mudskippers and a Giant mudskipper. Andrew pointed out a Blue-spotted mudskipper!
Cicada Tree Eco Place was leading the other half of the group!
rocky shore. Here, we also had a look at the mangrove tree that makes it possible for us to enjoy durians.
fig tree that we see towards the end of the walk.
quarries that dot Pulau Ubin, reminders of the island's key industry in the past.
Kamariah Abdullah's home in Ubin Kampung which is about 100 years old and still in use.
German Girl Shrine to learn more about the unique traditions and stories that have taken root at Pulau Ubin.
since Oct 2013 has been providing electricity to all homes and businesses at Ubin Town. Here's more about it when I attended a briefing by Daily Life Renewable Energy (DLRE) during the Imagine Ubin Leafmonkey Workshop session.
Thanks to all the kind students who listened so attentively and laughed at my lame jokes. And thank you Faizah for letting me be a part of this.
Links to more about Pulau Ubin (thanks to the Leafmonkey Workshop)
- Pulau Ubin, National Parks Board (NParks)
- Factsheet on Pulau Ubin and Chek Jawa, National Parks Board (NParks)
- Brief History of Pulau Ubin, by National Heritage Board (NHB)
- Pulau Ubin Micro-grid Test-Bed, by Energy Market Authority (EMA)
- Pulau Ubin Stories, archive of stories about Ubin by November Tan
- Brief overview of biodiversity on Pulau Ubin, from The DNA of Singapore by RMBR
- Media and news articles about Pulau Ubin on wildsingapore news
- Ongoing nature events on Pulau Ubin on wildsingapore happenings